Geo-debate: Standard Penetration Testing vs Cone Penetration Testing
The debate resolution is “SPT is better than CPT for Geotechnical Site Characterization.” The Standard Penetration Test (SPT) has been in common use in the US for 70 years. Has it reached retirement age? Or is it now accepted as the one true standard of practice? Cone Penetration Testing is a newer method used commonly worldwide, but less so in the US. Both techniques can be argued have both significant advantages and disadvantages for use on ‘typical’ projects. Thus, the debate!
- James Hambleton, Ph.D., M.ASCE, Northwestern University
- Scott Anderson, P.E., M.ASCE, BGC Engineering
- Derrick Dasenbrock, P.E., D.GE, F.ASCE, FHWA
- Gerald Verbeek, M.ASCE, Verbeek Management Services
- Paul Mayne, Ph.D., P.E., M.ASCE, Georgia Institute of Technology